Purity in speech....

It seems I have been struggling a bit lately with modesty of speech. I know that modesty is not just what you wear (although I am modest in my attire), but it is also of speech and attitude. Sometimes when I open my mouth lately, something inappropriate or bold or harsh comes out. This is NOT my desire! I want my speech to reflect Christ just as my clothes do. I'm just in a bit of a slump in this area. I have really been praying about this. I don't want to lose my personality, but at the same time I don't want to offend God. I know there is a balance. :) God reminded me today that I'm not quite there yet with this area of my life, so I will continue to work on it. :) This post helped me. :)

I'm also struggling today with the desire to hug my dad tight and tell him I love him. I do it so many times in my dreams. He is a good man and praying someday I will again be able to do that. He is an important part of my life and I'm trying to be content with the way things are. :) I hope and pray he doesn't stress about this...no need. He just needs to continue to let God guide him and direct his path...even if that path doesn't lead to me being free to be his daughter. I just want him to be obedient to our Lord. That's the most important thing. So if you all could pray that I could push that desire I have to hug my dad aside for now, relax, and be content with the wonderful relationship I do have, I would appreciate it! :) God is good and I'm not upset. :) Just living with real feelings and learning to give them to God. :) I'm always learning and growing. :)





"But no one can tame the tongue...from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way." James 3:8-10

It is so important that we learn to communicate biblically today. We have become immune to the harshness and rashness of conversation of our culture that we tend to emulate it. This should not be so for the Christian woman. We need to emulate God's ways and put on the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit. Here are some guidelines to help us communicate and bring glory to the Lord:

1. OUR WRONG WORDS BEGIN WITH WRONG THOUGHTS AND MOTIVES----we must put off these wrong thoughts and replace them with biblical thoughts. That means time in the Word, having wisdom and discernment to know when we are thinking wrongly, and courage and strength enough to change it. (Matthew 15:19-20)

2. WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO GOD FOR EVERY WORD WE SPEAK---we have to be careful not to use 'careless' words. Don't just talk to hear yourself speak. Count the cost of every word coming out of your mouth. (Matthew 12:36-7)

3. WE ARE TO SPEAK THE TRUTH, BUT SPEAK IT IN LOVE--Scriptures teach that "If your brother sins, go and reprove him in private; if he listen to you, you have won your brother." (Matthew 18:15) We need to reprove (or rebuke) in a patient, kind and loving manner.



4. WE MUST PUT OFF ANY WRONG SPEECH--sometimes we are tempted to use angry, abusive or malicious words in our speech. Any kind of wrong speech is sin. Work extra hard to communicate in love. (Colossians 3:8)

5. WE MUST GIVE THE BENEFIT OF DOUBT WHEN IT COME TO JUDGING MOTIVES. We are not to make judgments about the 'motives of men's hearts', only God can judge their motives. (1 Corinthians 4:5)

6. WE ARE MORE LIKELY TO SIN IF OUR WORDS ARE RASH--Words can bring live or death. Proverbs 12:18 states that 'there is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.'

7. WE ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE HEARD IF OUR SPEECH IS FOREBEARING AND SWEET. Not fake--not using manipulation. "Sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness." Proverbs 16:21

8. WE ARE KIND AND WISE WHEN WE TALK. "She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.' Proverbs 31:26 Her words are not rude, tense, harsh or wounding, instead they are edifying and helpful.

9. WE SHOULD PURIFY OUR SPEECH UNTIL IT IS MORE AND MORE FLAWLESS--Purify your speech by practicing over and over until you get what you want to say right. Think through what you should say, then practice it out loud alone. Concentrate on using a 'soothing' tone of voice. (Proverbs 10:20) It may seem silly but scripture teaches us 'to train ourselves for the purpose of godliness'. So that is exactly what we should do!

Faithful Lord, help us to be an example to all in speech...

Comments

  1. Yes I know how much trouble there can be when I fail to control my tongue. Dear God, help me to catch my thoughts before they make too much noise, and tame in me the wildness that prompts me to roar!

    I am 2/3 of the way through the book - Little Town On the Prairie and just read this 2 nights ago ...

    "On the smooth, cream colored page, in Ma's fine handwritting, Laura read:

    If wisdom's ways you wisely seek,
    Five things observe with ease,
    To whom you speak,
    Of whom you speak,
    And how, and when, and where

    Your loving mother
    C. L. Ingalls
    De Smet November 15th, 1881

    Take care and God bless your day Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are very good words indeed! :) I think that is something I can keep in mind when I'm speaking. :) Have a blessed day, Catherine! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?