Both sorrow and joy...

I have been through the valley of weeping,
The valley of sorrow and pain;
But the "God of all comfort" was with me,
At hand to uphold and sustain

As the earth needs the clouds and sunshine,
Our souls need both sorrow and joy;
So He places us oft in the furnace,
The dross from the gold to destroy

When He leads thro' some valley of trouble,
His omnipotent hand we trace;
For the trials and sorrow He sends us,
Are part of His lessons in grace

Oft we shrink from the purging and pruning,
Forgetting the Husbandman knows
That the deeper the cutting and paring,
The richer the cluster that grows

Well He knows that affliction is needed;
He has a wise purpose in view,
And in the dark valley He whispers,
"Hereafter Thou'lt know what I do"

So we'll follow wherever He leadeth,
Let the path be dreary or bright;
For we've proved that our God can give comfort;
Our God can give songs in the night

If any of you suffer from an illness, physical pain, heartache, or a loss, I hope you can find this poem an encouragement.  I hope it can help you to stand strong during storms knowing that God wants holiness to come from brokenness.  He desires righteousness and He takes us through many valleys so He can make us more like Him.  I have definitely learned this throughout my life.  God has allowed suffering in my life, but I know it is for a purpose.  To refine me. God is near...

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this, I cut and pasted it and have it hanging on the frig. :o)

    Blessings and enjoy your weekend,
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Thanks for sharing. What a great idea to keep on fridge...to always be reminded.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?