What is contentment?

Contentment is such a pleasant sounding word.  It conjures pictures of green meadows, trickling stream, peacefulness, and calm serenity.Contentment is a place where all your needs are cared for.  It sounds like fantasy doesn't it?  Is this for real?

I'm here to tell you "yes, contentment is real and it's possible".  The apostle Paul talked about this contentment in Philippians 4:10-12 when he said “have learned in whatever state I am, to be content”. I know this place exists, for I myself have been there from time to time.

What do you mean you've been there from time to time?  Aren’t you content? Yes and no, I can let the contentment go by allowing many things to tempt me to step out of contentment, just like you. What things interfere with contentment?  How about stress, anxiety, worry, striving, jealousy, greed, envy, bitterness, angry, fear, insecurity, or uneasiness?  (See 2 Corinthians 12:19-21, Galatians 5:19-21)

Contentment for me is confidence in the Lord. Psalm 118:8 says “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.” Resting in Him, relying on His promises and trusting God no matter what I must face each day is how I demonstrate confidence in Him.  (Proverbs 3:26, Proverbs 14:26, Isaiah 30:15)

Contentment is a reward for losing my life to God. Look at 1 Timothy 6:6 NKJV “Now godliness with contentment is great gain.” I'm referring to a wholehearted commitment to living God's way.  We learn to give Him everything because He gave His everything that we might live.

How do we get to this place called the contentment?  The directions are easy but the journey may be challenging.  Contentment comes from God.  Therefore the path to contentment always begins with drawing closer to God.  There are many ways to get closer to God: read the Bible, pray, fellowship with other believers, worship, go to church, serve others and on and on.  What you choose is up to you. Our part is to seek God.  God's part is to guide us.  And He is
faithful to do just that.

Next we begin trusting God.  Start by giving to God something  bothering you and then watch how He takes care of it. 

Lastly we act based on our trust in God.  What does this look like?  This will be different from person to person.  God has shaped each one of us differently.  Therefore the action we take will depend on which gifts, talents, abilities, life experiences, and personality God's given us.  When we start using all we have been given we not only glorify and honor God but also demonstrate our trust in him.

~Think on it Bible ministries 


Came across this tonight and it's just what I needed. :)  Even though I'm human and have human feelings, God still guides me with a gentle nudge.  He is faithful in wanting us to grow.  I can struggle with discontentment, but He knows my heart.  He knows I want to be content in all things. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?