By gracious powers so wonderfully sheltered...


By gracious powers so wonderfully sheltered,
and confidently waiting come what may,
we know that God is with us night and morning,
and never fails to greet us each new day.


Yet is this heart by its old foe tormented,
still evil days bring burdens hard to bear;
Oh, give our frightened souls the sure salvation
for which, O Lord, You taught us to prepare.

And when this cup You give is filled to brimming
with bitter suffering, hard to understand,
we take it thankfully and without trembling,
out of so good and so beloved a hand.

Yet when again in this same world You give us
the joy we had, the brightness of Your Sun,
we shall remember all the days we lived through,
and our whole life shall then be Yours alone.

...written by Dietrich Bonhoeffer in the concentration camp, shortly before his death.

 I want the strength he had during his trials.  To take the cup he was given without trembling.  What a blessing.  I will admit that there are some cups of suffering that are easier to take.  Some can be difficult to understand.  But, alas, that is where we trust that even though we don't understand, we know that the cup was given to us by a Father who loves us deeply and is so good.  We don't have to trust what's in the cup, but we must trust the hand that gives it.  That is where I am today.  I do not understand fully the "why's" of why I have been given the lot I have in life.  I do know that I have never "cursed God" and turned away.  I have cried out to Him, clung to Him, and became more like Him.  I know in my heart that everything is done/given/taken for His purpose and for my good.  I can rest in that these next few days/weeks of uncertainty.  His peace washes over me despite whatever is in my cup....

Comments

  1. Uncertainty is what drives, leads, pushes, encourages, takes (what ever the right word is) us to trusting Him. It brings us to the place of total dependence on Him which is what He desires. It appears He is doing a mighty work in you. It is only by His grace that you can rest in Him. No other person, self or things can bring the peace that surpasses all understanding (Phil 4:7) that He places in a believer's heart. What a blessing you are to Him when He sees you fully leaning, depending & crying out to Him. That is His desire for all believers. His Hands are fully around you in every circumstance. He is GOD. He is The Father. He provides always. He comforts His children in His way. He doesn't always take away the physical pain but has a much better plan for it. Look how He provided and still provides through His Son. He is with you always and always will be.
    I expect to see Him continue working in you for many years to come.
    Prayers continue for all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are blessed to serve such a loving God...I carry His promises close and that helps during the times of uncertainty. Thank you for the encouraging reminders, D. :) Your heart is felt through your words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?