What to do...

What do you do with a son who has been being lazy? Found out today that his work at the church as started to become lazy. He doesn't put effort into it anymore and has to be motivated to get a job done. I thought he was only doing that here. But, I guess I was wrong. It has spilled over into his everyday life. :( Some time ago, I felt that he lost his desire to care. He just doesn't have a drive to do anything. As a mom, it is really hard for me to watch. I want him to grow up with a good work ethic, integrity, stick-to-itiveness, drive, etc. I'm hoping this is just a stage, but I've seen it in my brother. They are a lot alike. I fear it could be related to technology. I know I've said it before, but I really do. He has an ipod he plays with during the day and also a laptop. I guess we are going to have to limit him on those again. We need to pour more of ourselves into him. I know it's going to be hard at first, he won't like some of the changes.

My heart's desire is for him to become a strong, loving, hardworking man. What am I doing wrong? :( Lord, guide my actions, words, and motives. Guide me in how to shape my son to be more like you...

Comments

  1. Maybe he is worried about his mother...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have talked to him about it and he said he was worried about the surgery. Needless to say, my hospital visits haven't always turned out good. We encouraged him and reminded him that God is in control and not to fret. We will keep encouraging him not to worry. But, I understand if he is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Junior high guys go through all kinds of stages as they mature physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. How we react to these stages can be as much of a challenge for us parents as it is for the teen. Biblical principles again as always are our guide. Setting a good example of work ethic, which he has in both his father and mother, training his mind and hopefully his heart to do what is expected is important, letting him know he is a part of the family/ church/ community and has a responsibility in keeping it "going" will allow him to assume some "ownership" in the task set before him. These are just a few things that popped into my head for now. Of course you know there have volumes written on child rearing. But every like bit of wisdom helps.
    And yes, young people can worry also. Hunter is a great kid who is growing up fast. He will have challenges of his own which a parent can't "fix". However he has the same Heavenly Father we have....what more needs to be said :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the wisdom. :) I know we want to react to all these changes in a God honoring way. Thank you for giving me some "tangeable" things to think about. :) Btw, I came home from church and he was dusting the house. :) I told him when I left that he was not to play his ipod while I was gone and to read and practice his math instead. He said he read some of The Call of the Wild and then did some math, got bored, so he decided to dust. Boy, was I surprised and gave him lots of praise. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?