Lesson 9 on biblcial submission...

Proverbs 31:14 - Be Like the Merchant Ships


Today's lesson is a bit different sisters. Today I'm going to give you some practical tips on how to be like the merchant ships. Come on, admit it, you've always wanted to be a ship, haven't you? Yeah, me neither! But let's take a look at this anyway, shall we?

Merchant ships are very interesting. While they are not the fastest means of transporting goods from one area to another, they are the most cost-effective and efficient, especially for perishable goods- like food.

In our modern day society, we all want everything NOW! That's why we have instant coffee, drive-thru everything (even pharmacies and dry-cleaners). We have microwave ovens and quick easy meals at the grocery store ready to buy, heat up and enjoy! But there's a problem with our high-tech modern day society. Much like the jet airplanes that can transport foods faster than merchant ships, ships are the preferred method. Why? Because they can carry a greater load and use less energy and resources - merchant ships are more cost effective and far more efficient than jet airplanes. It would take an airplane many trips to carry the same load a merchant ship can carry all at once.

One of the things I've struggled with daily, is being lazy in providing my family with good nutritious meals. I get tired, feel over-worked and well, some days I just can't seem to get it together. So I figure, "It won't hurt just this one time to go out and get something to eat." or "Well, I'll get just a couple of frozen meals, just in case I get in a pinch." But honestly, those were just excuses because I didn't have a better plan.

Did you know that the frozen prepared dinners are very high in salt content? One frozen prepared meal can contain anywhere from 700 mg - 1,800 mg of sodium, which is almost half of the daily max of 2,300 mg. The other problems are the quality and amount (or lack of) fruits and vegetables in these meals.

Just an interesting fact I thought I'd share with you. Now I digress.

Many years ago, after much prayer and guidance from our Lord, I was able to sit down and plan a healthy menu (only 2 weeks at a time). There are things I keep in my refrigerator, freezer and pantry regularly, so I'm always prepared to make something:

Refrigerator Stock:
  • carrots - an excellent source of Vitamin A and good source of Vitamin C
  • celery - good source of Vitamins A and C
  • cucumbers - good source of Vitamin C
  • tomatoes - high in Vitamins A and C and potassium and a good source of antioxidants
  • any 3 varieties of fruit (in season): apricots, peaches, apples, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries and bananas in a bowl on the counter (I always make sure I have either cantaloupe or bananas on hand since they're both high in potassium)
  • ice berg lettuce (good filler for sandwiches)
  • dark green salad lettuce (baby spring mix) - high in Vitamin A and a good source of folate
  • 100 % purple grape juice, V-8 and V-8 Splash, 100 % Orange Juice
  • organic eggs
  • 2 % Milk
  • Balsamic Salad dressing (great for salads and marinating meats)
  • deli meat (turkey, chicken and ham - I alternate)
  • variety of fish (salmon and tilapia mostly)
  • fresh salsa
Freezer Stock:
  • Variety of frozen vegetables (i.e., organic broccoli, green beans, corn, mixed vegetables, carrots)
  • large bag of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders
  • frozen snacks for kids (i.e., chicken breast nuggets)
  • frozen fruit (for smoothies)
  • other meats I've purchased in bulk and freeze portions of it
  • frozen shredded & cubed potatoes to make hashbrowns for breakfast
  • frozen waffles
  • bread
  • leftover meals
Pantry Stock:
  • crackers (wheat and regular)
  • low-sodium soups (for lunches)
  • canned beans (black beans, navy beans and pinto beans)
  • stewed tomatoes
  • tomato sauce
  • seasonings
  • bread
  • rice
  • pasta (varieties)
  • some chips
  • sodas (we limit to only 1 glass/day or less)
  • peanut butter
  • honey
  • tortillas
Of course this is not an exhaustive list of things I have in my pantry, fridge or freezer, but I just wanted to give you an idea of the kinds of things I always have in stock so I can always make a meal...even if the electricity goes out! *smiles*

I get all my cook books out, along with the family calendar and I write down a menu for the next two weeks. From our calendar I determine whether or not I need to make a slow-cooked meal or if I need to prepare some things the night before. I also consider all the leftover meals I will re-design during this two week period. One of the things I try to do is grill lots of chicken and other meats at one time and freeze some. They make great fajitas, stews, wraps or other quick meals when you're in a pinch.

Does that mean I don't think anyone should ever eat out or buy prepared frozen meals? No! We do from time to time, but I make sure I don't use it as an excuse to not cook for my family on a regular basis.

I want to be like the merchant ships. I want to bring my food from afar - which means from the grocery store (we don't have it so bad sisters) and not from the drive-thru window. I don't want this portion of my wifehood and motherhood to take a back seat to whatever else it is I want to do during my day.

Like the merchant ships, I may be a bit slower, but I want to take the time to make nutritious, home-cooked meals for my family. I don't want to do just what's convenient for me at the moment. For if I do, then I'm only living a life of convenience and not one of sacrifice.

So, like the ships of the merchants, I will take my time, plan out a menu and I will bring volumes of groceries home that are delicious as well as cost effective, because my purchases will go further than any prepared meal I might buy!

I believe this is just another wonderful way to show honor and appreciation to my husband: by planning a menu so I don't have to throw away any food and make light of his hard work for our family. I want in every way for my darling husband to know how much I love and appreciate how he faithfully works for us. I want him to know that it's important to me that I not squander our money with something I can easily manage with lots of prayer, listening, planning and perseverance.

If you have any questions or other meal planning ideas, please be sure to leave a comment so others may be edified. Thank you!


This lesson is something I put into practice years ago. I got sick with a neuromuscular disease about 10 years ago and decided that what I was eating was not helping my body any. I ate preservatives, dyes, etc. I wanted my body to have a chance at a good life so I stopped all that. I bake from scratch, cook from scratch, buy healthy snacks, etc. If I can make it from scratch I will (cookies, cakes, instant oatmeal, tortillas, bread, muffins, jams, maple syrup, etc) I want my family to be healthy. I do on occasion buy the store bought cookie or chocolate syrup (used to make this). If you are just beginning to switch to made from scratch start with unbleached flour. Buy whole fruits instead of canned, buy frozen veggies instead of canned, etc. You will start to feel better. You can do it! :)

Comments

  1. Canned black beans, chicken broth, various sautéed vegies and a little cilantro - whala! soup! Thanks for the inspiration Stephanie. Your posts are so nourishing and its great to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks! I'm glad you're here! Enjoy your day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last night our power went out and I contemplated having watermelon for dinner. Better than just going for fast food, at any rate.

    (just the thought of instant coffee gives me the willies, I tell you.....lol)

    Having a menu planned out and printed out helps me because I don't have to answer "What's for dinner?!" 5 times (or more) every day. I would love to see a post of your weekly menu planning! I can always use inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try and get that up by the end of the week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?