Goodbye Nutmeg...


My son's (and mine) favorite chicken had to be put down yesterday. It was hard for both of us. She had just started laying and yesterday she ended up egg bound and prolapsed. The egg broke inside her and she started to hemorrhage. It was just me and my son home and we did everything we could for her. We didn't want her to suffer anymore so I put her down. Hunter was visibly upset and so was I. She was such a good chicken. Our favorite right off the bat. She was so lovable and tame. She would let Hunter carry her around and pet her.

I know she was "just a chicken", but she was a pet to us. Hunter learned a lot yesterday about life and death and about how we don't always understand God's plans. He does what His will is and we have to respect that. We don't have to understand it, but we have to honor it.

He is much better today and is happy that Marshmallow (one of our white pullets) is laying successfully. He thanked God for that. So did I.

Comments

  1. how sad:(
    I am facing having to put down my 3 year old lab (that I got when she was a pup) because she has developed an extremely agressive personality against other dogs...I understand the heartbreak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jenna, I'm sorry. That's hard. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry, Stephanie :( I do, however, love the names you give your chickens...very appropriate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very hard, but such a great opportunity that you turned into learning, faith and trust.
    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that's the circle of life, but knowing doesn't make things like that any easier... :-/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry, that is tough. We love our chickens also and are quite attached.

    Farm life brings many learning opportunities.

    Lisa Q

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?