Lesson 13 on biblical submission...

Proverbs 31:20 - Open Hand, Clean Heart

This Scripture-Picture was lovingly created by
Lori @ I Will Take It Lord, All You Have to Give.

"When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my Son.1 The more they were called, the more they went away; they kept burning offerings to idols.

Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk; I took them up by their arms, but they did not know that I healed them.

I led them with cords of kindness, with the bands of love, and I became to them as one who eases the yoke on their jaws, and I bent down to them and fed them."

~ Hosea 11:1-4
(emphasis added)

Please get your Bible and look up this passage in Hosea. Now, take a highlighter and highlight the following:
  • loved him (verse 1)
  • they were called (verse 2)
  • I who taught....to walk (verse 3)
  • I healed (verse 3)
  • I led them (verse 4)
  • I bent down.....fed them (verse 4)
Okay, now take either a colored pencil or an archival quality pen and underline the following:
  • they went away (verse 2)
  • they did not know (verse 3)
Write in your journal or binder, the stark difference the Holy Spirit revealed to you regarding what you highlighted verses what you underlined. Now, examine your own heart and see if you are now, or ever have behaved as Israel did, so that God has or is saying this about you.

The Scripture-Picture that our sister Lori so lovingly made for us today, is a wonderful visual of what a Biblically submissive wife looks like. Look at the hands. They are beautiful, aren't they? They aren't "perfect", but they are clean, well-worked, strong hands, that still portrays the gentle beauty of a woman. Just as our Father God always intended.

Who may go up to the mountain of ADONAI? Who can stand in his holy place?Those with clean hands and pure hearts, who don't make vanities the purpose of their lives or swear oaths just to deceive.
~ Psalm 24:3-4
(CJB)


And what are these clean, strong, and very gentle hands doing? They are pouring out refreshment to those who thirst for something good to fill their mouths, their bodies, their souls, their minds and their spirit. So she takes this clay earthenware, cleans the inside as well as the outside, and fills it with what is good, pure and uncontaminated so that she may offer something good to those who are thirsty. She is ready. She is prepared. And therefore she seeks every opportunity to give to those who are poor and needy. (Galatians 6:9-10)

"For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us."

~ 2 Corinthians 4:6-7
(emphasis added)

As I have examined my own heart and tested it with the Scripture we read in Hosea 11:1-4, I can do nothing except openly confess that I too have been to God and done to God, all that Israel was and did.

Just like Israel, I have been loved, called, taught to walk, healed and led by God with His awesome grace, faithful mercy, loving-kindness and patience that was fueled by His incomprehensible compassion lavished onto such a rebellious, stiff-necked daughter like me. And what was my response to God for pouring out His glorious riches upon my life? Like Israel, I went away in my pride thinking I deserved such kindness and deserved more, because I was sure somehow, I was so holy, much holier than my husband that I had in a way, earned this unmerited favor I received from the LORD. This attitude, naturally became the poison that defecated the stench of self-glorification. Which led me into the cesspool of "holier than thou" prayers and attitude towards my husband. I was so far into my sin, that I even began to pray and ask God to cause my husband to have an affair so I could divorce him. I felt as if my husband was holding me back because he was not near as spiritual and holy as I was and I felt as if he was keeping me from experiencing the full potential of all that God made me to be.

Being the easily deceived woman that I am, my sin gave Satan enormous freedom to have his way with me. Gratefully, the LORD is God. He is Sovereign and wooed me to Himself - which in the light of His glory, not only was I terrified to be in His presence, but I clearly saw myself as He sees me and cried out as the Prophet Isaiah did:

" 'Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!' "

~ Isaiah 6:5

God so kindly and graciously led me by His Word that if I did not have clean hands and a pure heart, FIRST with my love and devotion to Christ, second to my husband, third to my children, fourth to homemaking, and fifth to ministering to everyone else (in that order), then I would continue to live in the chaotic, unfulfilling, frustrating lifestyle I had created for myself.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones."

~ Proverbs 3:5-8
(emphasis added)

It turned out, it wasn't my husband that was holding me back from experiencing the abundant life in Christ I had always wanted; it was me and my self-centered, self-glorifying and self-deception of who I really was, that was holding me captive. That day, the LORD was kind enough to reveal to me that my husband was not my enemy; no, instead, the enemy, Satan was and still is my enemy. God graciously and gently revealed to me the pain I was feeling, was from the tearing of my body (by emotionally and spiritually breaking my covenant with my husband and God); as I had been made one, in flesh and spirit with my husband in Christ Jesus. The pain I was experiencing was from my own hands, as I would daily rip my arm off and give it to Satan so he could beat me with it. I know Satan has a bag full of tools to beat me with, and after God had revealed this truth to me, I certainly was no longer going to participate in helping my enemy beat me with a part of my own body (my husband) by ripping it off and willingly handing it to Satan. As Scripture says, we are not unaware of the devils schemes.

"so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him. For this is why I wrote, that I might test you and know whether you are obedient in everything. Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. What I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ, so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.

~ 2 Corinthians 2:7-11
(emphasis added)

The LORD spoke this truth to me with the above verse, to guide me and lead me in the Way that I should go so that I might truly behave as the "rib" and protect my husband's vigor (his heart) and his atmosphere (his lungs), as we discussed in the lessons in WEEK # 2.

Truths to savor:
  1. Keep God's order of things. Willingly stepping out of God's design, means I am willingly choosing to step outside of His protection; who, on this earth, is my husband. (1 Corinthians 11:3 & 8-10)
  2. Presuming I am more spiritual or more holy than my husband because outwardly, it appears that I spend more time in Scripture, in prayer, volunteering at the church, etc. causes me to give Satan free reign over my mind and heart; returning me back to the Garden where woman was first deceived by the hunger for knowledge and self-rule. (1 Timothy 2:11-14)
  3. If I do well, my husband receives the glory; just as Christ receives his due glory and praise when His Bride does well. (1 Corinthians 11:7, Proverbs 12:4 & 31:23)
  4. If I fail, my husband receives the punishment, blame and shame; just as Christ who is our Husband, took our punishment, blame and shame because He is over His Bride; as the husband is over the wife. Eve sinned first, but Adam was the one God came looking for and Adam was the one who received the greatest punishment: the death of all creation, and spiritual death for all humanity. Eve's punishment only deals with women, and not even all women, as not all women have children or get married. (Genesis 3:6, 9, 16-19) Therefore, how you submit as a wife, strongly affects your husband's relationship with God. You can be like Sarah and encourage your husband to remain intimate with God through your Biblical submission, gentleness, and encouragement when he does well and comfort when he fails. Or you can be like Eve and be used as Satan's tool to wedge a chasm between your husband and God.
  5. A proud, boisterous, self-centered and pretentious woman who does not find herself fully satisfied in Christ, drains her husband and takes up so much of her husband's time, strength and resources, that she completely disables him to draw near to God as she becomes Satan's tool to distract the head away from God so the entire household is in disarray. (Genesis 3:6)
  6. Your children are watching. If you have girls, they will learn from you how to be a wife. And depending on what you teach her through your actions, is how she will learn to either be a Biblically submissive wife which is so precious to God or she will learn how to be a contentious wife that rots everything she touches. (The one time Sarah was un-submissive and attempted to "help God", Ishamael was born, who is the father of the Muslim nation; Rebekah favored Jacob and taught him how to manipulate situations to "help God" fulfill His promises, which taught Jacob to have problems in his own marriages, due to favoritism and manipulation and so on and so on.)
  7. Your children are watching. If you have boys, they will marry a woman just like you. And if you desire for your boys to marry a woman who loves them, Biblically submits to them and gives them honor and respect, then it is advisable that you first do it with your own husband. It is a well-known fact that men who marry opinionated, "bossy" women, were raised by one.
Therefore, how can a Biblically submissive woman open her hand to the poor and reach out her hands to the needy?

  • She must first, clean her vessel inside (her heart),
  • Then clean her vessel on the outside (her actions) as she practices daily sanctification, with repentance by washing herself with God's word.
In order to do this, she must first keep her priorities straight so that she may be fully satisfied in Christ alone. For if she herself is poor (in spirit because of the chaos and separation she has created in her own marriage), and if she herself is needy (because she does not fully satisfy herself in Christ and expects her earthly husband to fulfill all her needs), then how can she offer anyone anything?

Since God alone is good; then anything absent of God is not good. Therefore a wife that does not posses the good gift God gave to all wives, then she can not have anything good to offer anyone else. For one can only share what one already possesses.

For if the Lord our God, "bent down" to feed us yet while we were still so far away, how much more shall we, equal sinners to our husbands, "bend down" and submit to them out of our love and devotion to Christ, our Savior and Lord. Only then, can we "bend down" and feed others.


Lord God, help us to open our hands to receive anything You choose to give us, for everything from You is good. Search our hearts oh Lord, know them, test our anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in us gracious Father and lead us in the Way everlasting. Purify our hearts and cleanse them with Your word. Help us mighty Father God to clean our homes with Your Spirit so that the aroma of Christ may extend from our home to those outside, in order to save some. Bless our families Father with Your goodness. Protect us Lord from the schemes of the devil and keep us from stepping into foolishness.


Homework:

  1. Continue with your Love Dare Journal.
  2. Look up every Scripture in this lesson and journal all those that apply to where you are in your walk with the Lord, right now. Memorize these Scriptures only.
  3. If necessary, apologize to your husband for any unsubmissive act you've committed or words you have used to burden him so that his thoughts are so consumed with pleasing you, that he has forgotten to please God first.
  4. If you are beating yourself up right now....stop it! God never guilts us, He only convicts us. To discern the difference, read: The Difference Between Guilt and Conviction
  5. Write your husband a love letter, telling him how much you appreciate how hard he works for your family and include any Scripture(s) the Holy Spirit brings to your heart to encourage your husband by sharing how you see God's grace demonstrated through him.

Comments

  1. When I read "It is a well-known fact that men who marry opinionated, "bossy" women, were raised by one.", it made me think back to when we lived in CA, there was a man who worked with my husband who had such a wife. He always seemed so.....defeated. Rather makes me sad to think about it now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of "defeated" men in the world. Unfortunately, a lot of them are married to christian women. We need to open our eyes to God's plan and be obedient to that. :) It's hard work, but we can do it if we lean on Christ.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?