A nineteenth century education...

First Day of School


I revamped a lot of Hunter's home school. We were using SOS for the full curriculum and I just wasn't happy with it. The History, Science, and Language went WAY too fast. They packed so much in that he'd only learn about one topic a day and then jump right to the next one. Ugh!

So I got to looking and found a great site called Old Fashioned Education. It's based on 19th century education. Very interesting. I was looking into Sonlight at first because my son is a wonderful reader and has a high comprehension level. But, Sonlight was WAY too expensive for us. OFE is a great alternative to that. It's literature based. You download the books for free and can print them out. Now I didn't want to use so much ink, so I ordered most all of them from Amazon. I didn't want to get the books from the library because I wasn't sure if they would carry them or not (most books are out of print) and I don't have a library card and I would have to pay $80 to get one because we don't pay a library tax to anyone. And, some of the books are used more than one year.

The education in the 19th century was very good. I'm excited to get started with it. I will be supplementing some of the science with unit studies I come up with. He is excited to not be in front of a computer screen the whole time, which took me by surprise. He's a computer nerd. lol. But, you can only take so much! :)

Old fashioned schooling here we come!

Comments

  1. Can you write about the process of homeschooling sometime? I am interested but I dont think I know enough to educate Ben all by myself. Math, for example, if his books are getting into Geometry and I only know pre-algebra *if that*, how does that work? How do you tell the schools that he isnt going? Is it a lot of paperwork? Ben is only 2 but I am already worried about him having to go to Decatur Public schools....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    I have homeschooled Hunter since birth. ;) The exception was 6 mos in 2nd grade when I had major surgery and I didn't think I would do well with schooling him. (I was wrong) I understand your concern with math. I like it and used it a lot in nursing, but it can get overwhelming "teaching" it. So, for that I use a computer based curriculum to teach and then go through it with him and answer any questions he has.

    Here in Illinois, if you homeschool straight out, you don't have to notify anyone. You just do it. :) If he is in schools you can send them a letter and let them know you'll be pulling him out. We belong to HSLDA. You can check that out. There can be a lot of paperwork, but you can get software to help with organizing it. I just use paper. lol. When the time gets closer for you, come over and I'll show you more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are wonderful to homeschool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Getting things done...