Frugal tip of the week...


Is this April?? This is what we woke up to this morning. Ugh. lol



I want Spring back! Please! Ok, I feel better now. lol. Moving on...

Tip #2 Compost

Starting a compost pile is a great way to help your flowers and garden for no expense except that which was already spent on food. :) Find an area away from the house to start a pile. Mine is right next to the garden, which is a small walk away from the house. Pictured below. Granted it's a snowy mess right now, but it's the white pile. :) Not very big right now. Behind the small white pile are the blackberries.
So get a pile started and start taking kitchen scraps out there. Things like old fruits and veggies, fruit and veggie scraps from peeling and cutting, coffee grounds, tea bags, leaves, grass clippings, chicken poo, etc. Don't put in meat scraps or bones. Eventually your pile will get bigger. Add moisture and turn the pile every now and then. Add this to your garden and till in for great compost.

Comments

  1. I have to say. Just to wake up to that view every morning would put a song in my heart. I wouldn't care if it was white or green. LOL What beautiful land. I'm ready for a warm up also. We didn't have a bad winter so I'm not sure why we are getting freezing weather these days.

    My husband and I have been talking about a compost pile. He would just have to figure out the best place for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I really like where we live. It's peaceful and there are still kids that live across the road for my son to play with. You can hear frogs at night. I love that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, you've got trouble, Girl! If your compost pile is covered in snow, then it's cold and not cooking. You need to amend it every autumn with hay, straw and leaves, fluff it up and maybe toss some manure into the mix. If our compost ever had snow settled on it in the winter, much less the spring, I'd be worried....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miki,
    I'm not too worried. This is pretty much used up and is starting over. It's usually covered with leaves in the fall. It's usually warm enough to keep the snow off, don't worry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stephanie~
    Thanks for joining me on my blog journey! I also do some gluten-free cooking for one of my daughters. I'll be reading more of your GF posts in the next few days...it's getting very late tonight. My sympathies on the snow...we're expecting more tonight!
    Blessings~
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just starting out on the blog, so I don't have too many right now. But, I will be posting them regularly in the future. The snow is gone and the sun is shining today! Illinois for ya. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?