Arepas and more...


I was so excited to find the pre-cooked corn meal here in our town to make arepas! It is the same brand I found in Venezuela. Arepas were a staple in Venezuela and they are naturally gluten free. :)  I liken them to a corn english muffin. You can put anything in them...eggs, cheese, black beans, meat, etc. I am going to make some Saturday Lord willing.

Here is a recipe
  • 2 1/2 cups masarepa cornmeal
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 3/4 cups hot water
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • Vegetable oil

Preparation:

  1. Stir salt into arepa flour.
  2. Pour hot water over flour and mix well with a wooden spoon. Stir in the melted butter. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes.
  3. If preparing the thicker, Venezuelan style arepas, separate dough into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball.
  4. Place each ball in between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or two ziplock bags and flatten gently with the bottom of a pot. Arepas should be about 3 inches in diameter and almost an inch thick. Use your fingers to smooth out any cracks along the edges. Place shaped arepas on cookie sheet, covered with plastic wrap.
  5. If making the thinner, Colombian-style arepas, divide the dough into 20 pieces, and form into balls. Place balls between 2 pieces of plastic and flatten with a heavy pot or skillet until they are about 3 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick, using your fingers to smooth out any cracks along the edges. Place arepas on a cookie sheet, covered with plastic wrap.
  6. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Place 1/2 tablespoon butter or oil in the skillet. Place several arepas in the pan, leaving room so that you can turn them.
  7. Cook arepas about 5 minutes on each side. The surface should dry and form a crust. They will brown slightly, but do not let them brown too much. They should look like an english muffin. If they are browning too fast, lower the heat. Add more butter or oil for subsequent batches as needed.
  8. The thinner arepas are done when they have formed a nice crust, but are still soft on the inside. Serve them hot.
  9. The thicker, Venezuelan-style arepas finish cooking in the oven. Place them on a cookie sheet and heat for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve hot.
On another note, I was to begin treatment last night of a small dose chemo (Cellcept), but my insurance would not cover any of it. So I am looking into switching prescription coverages next week and possibly start that treatment then. If covered, it will take 3-8 mos for the medicine to kick in. OR I may not be taking it depending on the circumstances. I realize that God is in control and if He wants me to take this, He will make a way. Otherwise, I am just going to go about living my life even if it be in a weakened state. As I have said before, I will do what the good Lord allows me to each day regardless and be content with that. :)

Now off to cook breakfast...;)

Comments

  1. I pray that the insurance problem resolves quickly and that you can start your treatment ASAP. I love the Fall blog look here! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Getting things done...