Going to Arthur today...

Crossing Sign of Amish Buggy, Pa


Arthur is an Amish/Mennonite community about a 1/2 hour away from me. Hunter and I are going there today to visit one of his Mennonite friends, Joe. Joe's grandma, Esther, is the one who showed me how to sew cape dresses and headcoverings. She is a very wise woman. Joe's mom hasn't seen me since I stopped covering and wearing dresses. They both wanted to talk to me today. :) I think Esther is disappointed that I stopped covering. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say after I explain to them why I stopped. I respect them a lot and don't want to disappoint them or want them to think I have slipped away from Christ. I have grown closer to Him. :) I will admit, though, that there are some days I miss wearing my covering and cape dress. It was easier to find something to wear that's for sure. It's so hard to shop for modest clothing at the stores. My husband prefers that I wear jeans now. I think if we grew up Mennonite it wouldn't have been so different for him. But, I am a country girl and the jeans do come in handy. :) (Even though I did everything I do now in a skirt/dress, it's easier in jeans)

While we are there I am going to stop by the Amish bulk store to gather supplies to make laundry soap. I'll pick up some spices and meat, too. I'm hoping the Amish grocery store has fruit on sale again. They have really good sales. :)

Off to enjoy the day with some friends and brainstorming menu ideas. lol. Hope you all have a great day!


*UPDATE* Well, Esther had the reaction I figured she would. She was disappointed that I was not covering or wearing a skirt/dress anymore. She hopes that may change in the future. She understands, but wishes it was different. Joe's mom was very understanding and gracious. I told her the reasons and she said that I should do what my husband wants. I should stay under his authority and not to ever be out from under that authority that God put in order. I agreed. She said he was a Godly man and a good husband. That was so sweet of her. She then blessed me with a homemade angel food cake, green beans, beets, broccoli, and a cookbook written by Esther's husband's sister. I can't wait to use it! Hunter and Joe drove the 4-wheeler around, played on the combines, and jumped on the trampoline. It was a good day. :)

Comments

  1. Isn't it encouraging when we can actually meet around the Lord Jesus instead of arguing about what the Holy Spirit "should" have told you???
    Blessings~
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was encouraged by what Joe's mom had to say. We all love the Lord and we each have different journeys. I just wish I hadn't disappointed Esther, but I'm doing what I feel God wants me to. My husband and I have grown closer through this journey. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?