Fresh homemade yogurt...


Yesterday I made homemade yogurt and it is so much better than store bought.  In order to make it you need 1/2 c plain yogurt from the store to use as a starter.  I used an all natural yogurt which only ingredient was cultured milk.  Of course you need to make sure the yogurt you use has live active cultures in it. :)  I hope you give this a try when you see just how easy it is!

Homemade yogurt

1/2 c all natural store bought yogurt
1 qt milk of  your choice

Heat milk to 110 stirring constantly with a whisk to make sure heat is dispersed throughout.  Take off heat and make sure the temperature reading is still 110 and then whisk in your yogurt starter.  Mix thoroughly.  Pour into jars and wrap with towels.  Set on shelf near woodstove for about 6 hours. (That's what I did)  Now you may pour it into a qt thermos and wrap with towels and leave on counter for about 6 to 8 hours.  Or you can pour it into smaller jars and put in a cooler with some hot water added to the cooler about 1/2 way up the jars.  Or you could put it in jars and if you have a gas oven put it in there with just the pilot light lit...it's up to you. :)  I keep mine plain, but you can add some sugar and vanilla or fruit to yours.  I use mine for smoothies so I add my honey and vanilla then.  You can also drain it through a cheesecloth overnight in the fridge and have cream cheese for your bagel when you wake up. :)  All made with your own hand...gotta love that!

Comments

  1. i will be trying this! i used to make yogurt but i lost the recipe and can't remember how lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie, I have just discovered your blog and really enjoyed reading what I have so far.

    I am not a fan of yogurt but my husband is so I might try this one day.

    Blessings
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, ladies. I hope you enjoy the yogurt as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?