Lesson 6 on biblical submission...

Proverbs 31:11 - Beautiful Truth is Beautiful Trust


Pictured above is a unique flower called, "Beautiful Truth". It was discovered in South Korea by Song Kihun (the grower) who named this rare beauty after his beloved daughter. Although extremely delicate in appearance, with it's strap-like petals that are only a 1/4" thick, it is a very hardy flower that is also very well behaved...unlike others of it's species. This is one of the distinct qualities that make this exceptionally beautiful flower so treasured by it's gardener's!

As I happened upon this photo today, I was intrigued by the design of this flower. I'd never seen nor heard of it before. I found it very interesting that the petals looked like delicate ribs that wrap around the "heart" of the flower where the sweet nectar is. This little flower peaked my interest enough that I began looking up it's history, how it grows, where it grows and if it'll grow in my garden. In my research, I found it is much like a Biblically submissive woman - beautifully delicate in appearance, but grows very strong and hardy and is well behaved, which blesses her Gardener.

I don't know if many of you garden, but I do, and I simply love it! I've learned some of my greatest lessons from the Lord while I was gardening and have had some of the most humbling, awe-inspiring, sweet quiet times, with my Creator, that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

One of the lessons God taught me while gardening was that the Gardener knows all it's plants the best! The Gardener knows which plants He planted, which ones are weeds (but just look like plants to passer-byers), which plants need much water, little water, more sun...well, you get the picture. And the Gardener also knows exactly when each plant needs to be pruned!

I remember when I first pruned one of my plants, I thought I did something wrong because a white milky substance began to flow out of it. I was afraid and began to pray and asked God to help me "fix" my mistake. He gently told me that I hadn't made a mistake, but that the plant was "bleeding" and it was okay because it would heal. I pruned and pruned until my plant looked nearly dead...but I, the gardener knew it wasn't. It was ugly, had no shape, and well, looked like it should be pulled up because it looked so useless...but I knew better. I even had a couple of people offer to pull it out for me because they thought it was dead!

I didn't think it looked as ugly as other people did. I actually thought it looked quite beautiful! I could see what it was going to be as it matured. I could see larger leaves, larger and more fragrant flowers and a multitude of blooms that will give it such a beautiful color that those who pass by won't be able to help themselves as they stop and take in the essence of it's invigorating fragrance that can be smelled from four houses down. They'll stand there thinking, "It looks like an ordinary flower, but there's just something about it...the soothing, sweet aroma; the extraordinary vibrant hue of it's petals - what is it? I can't put my finger on it, but I can't help but be attracted to it's quiet beauty."

It's during these times I catch someone and run outside with my flower clippers and offer to cut some for them to take home. When they talk to me about my garden, and why they were attracted to it, I share with them that it's all for Christ. I tell them that I want everyone who walks by my house to sense the inexplicable serenity and joy that comes from knowing Christ. I consider my garden as a "bait" to catch some "fish" so I can share the Gospel. I've met many friends this way and have been so grateful for my garden God has so generously allowed me to work and enjoy.

So what does all this have to do with Proverbs 31 verse 11? Well, as I looked upon this unique flower today, "Beautiful Truth", I thought of why a husband's heart would have such trust in his wife that he would have no lack of gain. And it's all wonderfully wrapped up in this flower.

A Biblically submissive wife, is like this Beautiful Truth flower. She's delicate in appearance, but is very hardy and strong. She grows without being overbearing by overtaking the other flowers in the garden (like others of her kind) - she is "well behaved", she practices self-control. (Titus 2:3-5) She's shaped by her Gardener and grows in the fashion He chooses. She doesn't mind being pruned, though it is painful, causing her to "bleed", because she trusts that her Gardener is pruning her to help her grow more fragrant and vibrant with larger flowers. The pruning actually makes her stronger (Hebrews 12:11). She doesn't mind looking "ugly" from time to time because her full trust is in her Gardener - not in herself or others. She's more concerned with the growth that's happening in the secret places no one else but her Gardener can see. And this gives her peace, especially when the storms come and beat down on her, or during the droughts when the sun threatens to dry up all she has. During storms our droughts, her roots grow deeper and deeper into the soil, as she firmly embeds herself into her strong Foundation - the Lord Jesus Christ, for He alone is her Refuge.

No wonder the heart of a husband who's blessed with this kind of wife has full trust in her and has no lack of gain. He trusts her because he knows she will not gossip about him to others (1 Timothy 5:13), his interests are hers, his desires come before hers, and his welfare is her joy (Ephesians 5:24, Philippians 2:3-4) She does not squander his money, nor look upon others with envy. She is fully satisfied in the LORD. She is grateful and humbled that God has been mindful of her and provides for her every need and even graces her with plenty (Ruth 2:10). Though her husband may or may not strive to be a man who loves her as Christ loves the Church, her husband does not worry, because he knows her full trust and joy is in Jesus Christ, not in him or any other person. Therefore he is free to know Christ (if he's not saved), and one day, endeavor to love her as Christ commanded all husbands.

He is well aware that he is her second love and Christ her first. She is firmly established in her Savior alone and therefore is not easily shaken by circumstances around her, for her hope is in the LORD, not in the comforts of this life (Psalm 16:8-9). She is fully aware that her Father God is good, sovereign and trustworthy and does all things for her good, by conforming her daily into the image of His Son, Jesus Christ (Romans 8:28-29). She makes her mark in this world and many take notice of her. Not because she is the most beautiful, not because she is the loudest, proudest or strongest. No, she is well esteemed because she allows her good conduct to prove her work done in the meekness of wisdom (James 3:13) with gentleness and a quiet spirit, faithfully doing good without fear of anyone or anything except God her Father (1 Peter3:4 & 6). And yes, even others of her kind (other women) take notice of her, for her peaceful joy and quiet confidence in Christ, speaks louder than any words that can ever come from her lips.

WOW! I can't wait to be a woman like that!!! Can you? Will you journey with me?

Gracious Lord God in Heaven, hallowed be Your holy name! May all praise and glory be to You and You alone, as You alone are worthy Father! My sisters and I were once far off. Our hearts were darkened and we were vile, wretched souls before Your eyes. But in Your mercy, You looked upon us with compassion and You suffered Your one and only Son, that we may enter Your presence without shame and fear of condemnation. You accepted us when we were unacceptable, because we humbled ourselves and repented of all our sins. Because our hope was in You and You alone, You heard our cry for help and You saved our souls by washing us in the blood of Your holy Lamb, Jesus Christ, our Lord! Thank You Father that we can come before You and not die! Thank You gracious and generous LORD for making us Your daughters! Now make us LORD women that fear you more than life itself. Make us women who will not be tossed by the waves of society or any pretension and thought that sets itself up against You! But let us captivate every thought and make it obedient to Your Son! Our full trust is in You, not in our husbands or any other man, for You alone are perfect! I commit to humble myself and submit to my husband today to demonstrate the fullness of my trust in You and You alone! Your Word will never fail me as I rejoice in Your presence! Recieve my praise and grant me my request O Lord, for You alone are my Provider and my First Love! May the name of Jesus Christ forever be praised, in whose name I come. Amen.


Am I like that flower she talks about? Maybe sometimes. But, I would like to be like that more often. It's wonderful to have a picture in your mind of what a biblically submissive wife can look like. I just picture that flower in my mind and hopefully the actions it represents will come out. I love my husband and I want to do the best I can. But, I love the Lord more and want to please Him. By being biblically submissive to my husband, I am doing just that. I like the pruning picture she gives, too. It may seem like God is cutting too much off, but He knows how much needs to be cut in order for us to grow strong and healthy. He knows best and we are but a speck of dirt. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?