Frugal tip of the week...

I am starting a "frugal tip of the week." These will post on Mondays. I'm posting one today to get started. :) I'm a very frugal person and wanted to share some tips. I believe as a helpmeet to our husbands, it's our responsibility to help stretch the dollar they earn and to be good stewards of what God has given. If you earn the dollar as a wife, then it's still a good idea to learn to stretch that, too. :)

TIP #1 Homemade Laundry Soap

The laundry soap I make comes out to about $1.50 a month. Pretty good! It works great and you can pick the scent. Here's the recipe I use. You will need a 2 gallon bucket.

1/2 bar of fels naptha or ivory (fels naptha is a great stain fighter. I find mine at Amish stores or Kroger)
1/2 c washing soda (not baking soda)
1/2c borax
fragrance
water

Grate the soap. (I use my food processor to shred it) Put into sauce pan. Add 6 cups of water. (That's 1 1/2 mason jars full) Heat on low/medium until soap melts. Make sure it all melts. Add washing soda and borax and stir until dissolved. Again make sure it's dissolved. Pour 4 c of hot water into the bucket. (I have a mason jar of water heated and ready in the microwave) Add soap mixture to the bucket and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 c water into bucket and stir. Now you can add your fragrance if desired. Let stand overnight. It will come out kind of like egg drop soup or a little gellier. Use 1/2c per load.

Comments

  1. Hello, I followed your link from my space. You have a great blog here.

    I had used this soap for years. I'm not sure why I have not made any in awhile. I'm thinking I may start it back up again. It sure did save money.

    Have a great day and God Bless
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter the facebook giveaway here!

Do you make agreements with satan?